I am an Aspirant IFMGA Mountain Guide and Mountaineering Instructor (MIC) based in North Wales. As a passionate climber, skier and alpinist I aim to inspire, enthuse and educate through my work as an Aspirant Mountain Guide. Throughout the year I split my time primarily between the European Alps in Summer and Winter and North Wales in the Spring and Autumn.
I am originally from Northern Ireland where I began climbing in the Mourne Mountains and Fairhead. Climbing and mountaineering has taken me widely throughout Ireland, the UK, Europe and North America and has given me a passion and enthusiasm for the great environment in which I climb and work. Despite visiting many amazing places I am still constantly drawn back to Ireland by the lure of climbing at Fairhead whilst living in North Wales has given me the opportunity to explore an amazing wealth of routes and crags.
I am currently progressing through the British Mountain Guides Training Scheme to become an IFMGA Mountain Guide. This process takes several years of training and assessment throughout the UK and European Alps. I currently work as an Aspirant Guide in the Alps in Winter and Summer.
I hold the Mountaineering Instructor Certificate, the highest achievable mountaineering qualification in the UK. This allows me to work in all aspects of climbing and mountaineering in both Summer and Winter. I am a member of the Mountain Instructors Community.
Previous to working in the outdoors I studied for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering at Queen’s University, Belfast, graduating in 2008.
Memorable Routes include:
- Lord of the Flies E6 6a, Llanberis Pass
- Central Pillar, E2 5b, Esk Buttress, Lakes
- The Cad E6 6a, Gogarth
- Above and Beyond E6 6b, Fairhead
- Star Wars E4 5c, Pembroke
- Over the Moon Direct 8a, Pen Trywn
- An Bealach Runda E1, Fairhead
- Sioux Wall VIII 8, Ben Nevis
- Winter Traverse of Cuillin Ridge, Skye
- The Shroud VI 6, Ben Nevis
- Agags Groove VI 7, Buchaille Etive Mor
- Orion Direct V 5, Ben Nevis
- Central Buttress VI 7, Beinn Eighe
- Gemini VI 6, Ben Nevis
- 1938 Route ED2, Eiger
- Croz Spur ED1, Grandes Jorasses
- Schmidt Route ED1, Matterhorn
- NE Spur Direct ED1, Les Droites
- Central Pillar of Freney ED1, Mont Blanc
- Brandler Hasse E5, Cima Grande
- Gabarrou Silvy ED3, Aiguille Sans Nom